Friday 21 March 2014

WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO (MUST READ)

One of the most reliable means of learning to know oneself is the study of the temperaments. For if a man is fully aware of his temperament, he can learn easily to direct and control himself. If he is able to discern the temperament of others, he can better understand and help them. Lets start by knowing what Temperament means.

MEANING OF TEMPERMENT
A person’s or animal’s nature, especially as it permanently affects their behavior  OR Temperament refers to the characteristics and aspects of personality that we are born with. For that reason, they are similar to traits in that they are both innate (born with these things) and enduring. Infants who are anxious and nervous tend to be the same way when they are older. Just as a temperature gives a reading of how hot or cold something is, your temperament gives a reading of your disposition, or general outlook.

THERE ARE FOUR TEMPERAMENTS:
  • ·         The choleric,
  • ·         The melancholic,
  • ·         The sanguine
  • ·       The phlegmatic.
HOW TO DETERMINE YOUR TEMPERAMENT
In order to determine your temperament, it is not wise to study the bright or dark sides of each temperament and to apply them to yourself; you should first and foremost attempt to answer the questions below;



1.       Can I forgive when offended?
2.       Do I bear grudges and resent insults?
If your answer is:
  • ·         Usually I cannot forget insults
  • ·         I brood over them
  • ·        To think of them excites me anew
  • ·    I can bear a grudge a long time, several days, nay, weeks if somebody has offended me
  • ·         I try to evade those who have offended me, refuse to speak to them, etc.,
Then, you are either of Choleric Or Melancholic Temperament.

If your answer is:
  • ·         I do not harbor ill will
  • ·         I cannot be angry with anybody for a long time
  • ·         I forget even actual insults very soon
  • ·      Sometimes I decide to show anger, but I cannot do so, at least not for a long time, at most an hour or two
If such is the answer, then you are either Sanguine or Phlegmatic Temperament.

To determine whether you are of the choleric or melancholic temperament you should answer the following questions:
  • ·         Am I quickly excited at offenses?
  • ·         Do I manifest my resentment by words or action?
  • ·         Do I feel inclined to oppose an insult immediately and retaliate?
If such is the answer, then you are of the Choleric Temperament
OR
  • ·    Do I at offenses received remain calm outwardly in spite of internal excitement?
  • ·         Am I frightened by offenses, disturbed, despondent, so that I do not find the right words nor the courage for a reply, and therefore, remain silent?
  • ·         Does it happen repeatedly that I hardly feel the offense at the moment when I receive it, but a few hours later, or even the following day, feel it so much more keenly?
If such is the answer, then you are of the Melancholic Temperament

To determine whether you are of the Sanguine or Phlegmatic temperament you should answer the following questions:
  • ·        Am I suddenly inflamed with anger at offenses received
  • ·        Do I feel inclined to flare up and to act rashly?
If such is the answer, then you are of the Sanguine Temperament
OR
  • ·         Do I remain quiet? Indifferent?
  • ·         Am I not easily swayed by my feelings?
If such is the answer, then you are of the Phlegmatic Temperament

I hope it helps. You can also share your thoughts and questions.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated.