Thursday 6 March 2014

I Don’t Have A Record Of My Birth -obasanjo

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has admitted publicly that he does not know his real age.

Obasanjo, who spoke at an African Regional Summit organised as part of activities commemorating his 77th birthday in Abeokuta, on Wednesday, believed he had been very lucky in his journey through life.

The event, held at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, Abeokuta, was organised by the Centre for Human Security in conjunction with the UNESCO Institute for African Culture and International Understanding.

Dignitaries in attendance included Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State; a former Ekiti State Governor, Chief Segun Oni; a former Minister of Education, Prof. Babalola Borishade; a former Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Sunday Ehindero; immediate past chairman of SURE-P, Dr. Christopher Kolade; and Sierra Leone’s Minister of Education, Science and Technology, Dr Minkailu Bah.

Others were former Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission, Prof. Peter Okebukola; state Commissioner of Police, Ikemefuna Okoye; a former Vice Chancellor of University of Lagos, Prof. Oye Ibidapo-Obe; Emeritus Prof. Akin Mabogunje and the Olowu of Owu, Oba Adegboyega Dosunmu.

While responding to remarks by Oba Dosunmu, who had earlier stated that Obasanjo was more than 77 years, the ex-president said he was “born on (an) Ifo market day.”

He, however, noted that the only indicator to his actual birthday could be deduced from the age of his long-time friend and Olubara of Ibara, Oba Jacob Omolade.

Obasanjo said, “There are those of us like me who have no real record of birth like me. I want to thank God once again for what He has done in my life. Whether I know the exact date of my birth or not, I think God has made my path glorious.

“I was actually born on Ifo market day because, according to my mother in our village, she had prepared to go to Ifo market and Ifo market is every five days. And then she was under labour. Before those who went to Ifo market had come back, I was born. I know and she knew I was born on Ifo market day. Don’t ask me what year or month.”

The ex-president’s comments drew laughter and thunderous applause from the audience.

Obasanjo also expressed appreciation to President Goodluck Jonathan for “congratulating me on this day of my official birthday.”


http://www.punchng.com/news/i-dont-have-a-record-of-my-birth-obasanjo/

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated.